Displaying items by tag: College Parties
We are one of the luckiest generations to experience the birth of so many different forms of music. Being born at the end of the swing and big band era and the birth of Rock ‘n’ Roll with Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chubby Checker, American Bandstand, Richmond’s own Teen Dance Party on Channel 12, Teen Tempo on Channel 6. The rise of the British Invasion, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Billy J. Kramer, Dave Clark 5 and so many others. America fought back with the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, Tommy James and the Shondells. As we went off to college we saw the rise of folk music and hootenannies, Bob Dylan, Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix and the Grateful Dead. With the growth of music concerts we saw Monterey Pop, Woodstock and the death nil, Altamont.
And during all this time R’n’B continued its rise from Little Richard, Jackie Wilson, Isley Brothers, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas and the whole stable of Motown Stars.
Richmond had its own music scene with the Escorts, Panics, Johnny Houston and the Charmers and the Barracudas. TJ had its bands like the Morticians and Sound By Four. And how many remember the Hullabaloo Club on W. Marshall, Huh?
Well, as your DJ for the evening, I want to bring those memories back of sock hops, dedications of songs to our friends and steadies. I want the entertainment to be the best ever done at a reunion and that other high schools would like to duplicate what we have done. Will we have the best dance music, but we have some great retro prizes for the contests we have planned After all, I have a personal stake in this because I’m a member of the class, too. So your homework assignment is to:
1. Study you pop culture and music from the 60’s for the crazy contests we’re going to have
3. Come to the Reunion
4. Talk to everyone and catch-up on the last 20 years and partake of the activities
5. Take a nap Saturday Afternoon, so you can be rested for the “muther of all dances” Saturday night
6. Practice up on your Watusi, Stroll, Shag, Locomotion, Swim, Twist and the Hully Gully and dance your feet off and have fun, fun, fun, till your daddy takes your T-bird away!
7. And after the dance go to the Clover Room for that sundae or frosty (if only it were still there) or dogwood dell to make-out (and then to the clover room.)
This article appears on the Thomas Jefferson's website for their reunion party. Written by the DJ for the class of '65.